- 1 pound skirt steak or sirloin steak
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 1 ear corn, husked
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Sprinkle steak with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Brush the steak and corn with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the corn, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Grill the steak, turning occasionally, to desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer the steak to a clean cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut the kernels from the cob. Combine in a medium bowl with tomatoes, onion, basil, vinegar, chile, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Slice the steak thinly against the grain. Serve with the relish.