Seasonal Grilling | Seasonal Ingredients
Smoked Apple Pie
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup butter unsalted, cold, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4-6 tbsp cold water
Apple Pie Filling
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 2-3 medium sized granny smith apples peeled cored and thinly slcied
- 2-3 medium sized honey crisp apples peeled cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- egg wash
- Add a portion of the flour (1 ½ cup), plus the salt and butter to a food processor, or large bowl.
- Combine the flour and butter until a paste forms, and then add the rest of the flour. Continue combining the mixture until it has the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Add 4 tablespoons of water to the mixture, and fold it into the mixture using a small spatula. If the dough is still falling apart add an additional 2 tablespoons of butter
- Form a ball with the dough, and slice in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap and place in your refrigerator for at least one hour.
- After the dough has chilled, remove it from the refrigerator and roll each dough ball out into a 12-inch circle.
- Roll one of the pie crusts back onto your rolling pin, and then gently place the crust into a 9″ pie pan. Gently press the crust into the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the empty pie crust in your smoker on high for about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Apple Pie Filling
- While the pie crust is cooking on your smoker combine all of the pie filling ingredients in a large bowl. Apples first, followed by lemon juice, and then the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- After you remove the pie crust from the smoker, put the pie filling on the crust, piling the filling up about an inch high in the center (it will cook down)
- Place the second pie crust over top of the pie filling, and crimp the edges. Cut away any excess crust and put 4 to 5 small slits in the top crust with a butter knife. Brush the crust with egg wash.
- Place the pie in your propane smoker at 375 degrees uncovered for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes lightly tent the pie with foil, and continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes.
- The pie is done when the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the propane smoker and let it rest for at least 20 minutes before serving with your favorite vanilla ice cream