- 1 beef Flank Steak (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 whole wheat pita breads, warmed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 1-1/2 cups fresh parsley leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Grape tomatoes, chopped cucumber, chopped red onion, plain yogurt (optional)
- To prepare Charmoula, place cilantro, parsley, garlic, cumin and paprika in food processor or blender container. Cover; process until coarsely chopped. Add lemon juice and oil; process just until blended. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Cover and refrigerate 1/4 cup Charmoula for serving.
- Place beef Flank Steak and half of remaining Charmoula in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Place eggplant and remaining Charmoula in another food-safe plastic bag. Close bags securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight.
- Remove steak and eggplant from marinade; discard marinade. Skewer eggplant onto six 8-inch metal skewers. Place steak and kabobs on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill steak, covered, 11 to 16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill 16 to 21 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill kabobs 12 to 14 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Carve steak across the grain into thin slices. Remove eggplant from skewers. Season steak and eggplant with salt, as desired. Serve in pitas with reserved 1/4 cup Charmoula and Toppings, as desired.